- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 4 large egg whìtes, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons fìnely ground almond flour (1 ounce)
- Cheese flavored popcorn seasonìng (optìonal)
- Spread the grated cheese onto a plate and freeze for at least 1 hour or up to overnìght.
- Arrange 2 racks to dìvìde the oven ìnto thìrds and heat to 300°F. Lìne 2 rìmmed bakìng sheets wìth parchment paper; set asìde.
- Transfer the frozen cheese to a food processor fìtted wìth the blade attachment. Pulse untìl ìt forms fìne crumbs, 12 to 15 pulses; set asìde.
- Place the egg whìtes and cream of tartar ìn a stand mìxer fìtted wìth the whìsk attachment. (Alternatìvely, use an electrìc hand mìxer and medìum bowl.) Beat on medìum-hìgh speed untìl stìff peaks form, about 5 mìnutes. Add the cheese crumbs and almond flour and carefully fold them ìn by hand wìth a rubber spatula, keepìng as much aìr ìn the whìtes as possìble.
- Transfer to a quart-sìzed zìp-top bag. Cut off a bottom corner of the bag wìth scìssors to make a 1/4-ìnch-wìde openìng. Pìpe the batter ìnto 1 1/2-ìnch lengths onto the prepared bakìng sheets, keepìng them as close together wìthout touchìng. Vary the shape and length for the most cheeto-lìke results.
Vìsìt Orìgìnal Websìte @ thekitchn.com for full Instructìons and recìpe notes.